Advanced Writers’ Retreat – Nov. 2-3, 2017 – Elmhurst Christian Reformed Church, Elmhurst, Illinois.
Join acclaimed author Sarah Arthur and marketing guru Brian Allain for a 2-day intensive, limited-size retreat intended for spiritual writers who are serious about their writing, including those who have attended one of our previous Writers’ Conferences. In this retreat we will dig deeper into several writing and marketing topics and allow you to participate in Q&A sessions with representatives from Tyndale House Publishers, InterVarsity Press and ChristianityToday magazine.
Our conferences, workshops, and retreats have a reputation of collegiality and lack of competitiveness among attendees. Come join us and enjoy the supportive environment!
Here are the topics Sarah will cover:
– Balancing the vocation AND business of writing
– Pitches & proposals: Thinking like an editor
– Leveraging “platform” without losing your soul
Here are the topics Brian will cover:
– Deep dive on Facebook marketing, including Facebook advertising
– Self-publishing: Why and How
– Finding your strategic niche as a writer
– Advertising your books on Amazon
Our Q&A sessions will be with:
– Jeff Crosby, Publisher of InterVarsity Press
– Sarah Rubio, Editor for Nonfiction and Children’s Books at Tyndale House Publishers
– Matt Reynolds, Associate Editor, Books at Christianity Today magazine
Special Bonus: Our Q&A guests have graciously agreed to receive any author profiles, book/article proposals, and/or manuscript that any attendees would like to offer. However there should be no expectation that you will receive a response to your submission.
Special Double Bonus: All attendees can sign up for an hour-long individual marketing consultation meeting or call with Brian Allain. Some of these can be scheduled as in-person meetings before or after the retreat and others can take place over the phone. Meetings and calls will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Here is our agenda:
Thursday, Nov. 2
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
1:00 – 2:30 Sarah
2:30 – 3:00 Guest Q&A
3:00 – 3:30 Break
3:30 – 5:00 Brian
5:00 – 5:30 Guest Q&A
5:30 – 6:30 writing exercise
7:00 Optional group dinner
Friday Nov. 3
8:00 – 8:30 Reflections
8:30 – 10:00 Sarah
10:00 – 10:30 Break
10:30 – 11:00 Guest Q&A
11:00 – 12:00 Sharing your action items for writing or marketing
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
1:00 – 2:00 Q&A / open discussion
The $299 registration fee includes:
– the 2-day retreat sessions with Sarah and Brian
– lunches and breaks
– Q&A sessions with representatives of Tyndale House, InterVarsity Press, and Christianity Today
– Submission of your profile, book/article proposal, and manuscript to Tyndale House, InterVarsity Press, and Christianity Today (optional; there should be no expectation that you will receive a response to your submission)
– 1-on-1 meeting/call with Brian Allain to discuss marketing and platform development, scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis (optional; limited in-person meeting time slots available)
Writing for Your Life is pleased to offer 0.9 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for pastors for this advanced writer’s retreat. Writing for Your Life is a member of the Association of Leaders in Lifelong Learning for Ministry (formerly the Society for the Advancement of Continuing Education for Ministry).
About the Speakers:
Sarah Arthur is a seventeen-year veteran and the author, editor, or contributor for over a dozen books as well as numerous articles and curricula. She was first know for her bestselling, award-winning devotionals, including Walking With Frodo: A Devotional Journey through The Lord of the Rings (Tyndale), but she has since branched out into more in-depth engagement with literature through the Literary Guides to Prayer series from Paraclete Press (while secretly writing Young Adult novels!). For several years Sarah has been the preliminary fiction judge for Christianity Today Book Awards. She is a fun-loving speaker and has served for the past two years on the faculty of the Frederick Buechner Writers Workshop at Princeton Seminary, and as a presenter at the Writing for Your Life webinar series. When she isn’t writing, Sarah is the volunteer youth coordinator of Sycamore Creek United Methodist Church in Lansing, MI, where she lives with her pastor-husband Tom and their two little boys. www.saraharthur.com
Brian Allain serves as Director of the Frederick Buechner Center and produces the Writing for Your Life series of in-person and online writers conferences. At the Buechner Center, Brian led the launch of Mr. Buechner’s online presence and grew his social media reach to over 2 million Facebook fans and over 300 thousand Twitter followers. Brian has developed and led writers conferences at Princeton Seminary, Western Theological Seminary, and Belmont University. He led the self-publishing effort for the book Buchner 101: An Introduction to Frederick Buechner. He also provides marketing consulting services to several spiritual authors and institutions. www.enlivenyourtribe.com and www.writingforyourlife.com