The following Code of Conduct applies to all participants in any conference, workshop, retreat, or other event produced by Writing for Your Life (WFYL), including (but not limited to) Writing for Your Life conferences, Publishing in Color conferences, Madeleine L’Engle conferences and Retreats, and DigDeeper Retreats.
Writing for Your Life is committed to providing a safe environment in which faculty members, attendees, and staff can freely interact in positive ways. To accomplish this goal, we seek to invite faculty members and others who have exhibited high moral standards.
We require all participants to behave in a manner that is “above reproach”, especially (but not exclusively) when they are at the conference, whenever they are in the presence of other conference attendees (e.g., on shuttles from and to the airport), and in any follow-up exchanges that may occur after the conference.
Please note that any minors present must be accompanied by an adult.
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- Verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, including sexual advances, propositions, requests, or comments (or anything that could reasonably be construed as such).
- Offering an attendee any kind of benefit (such as assistance with publication) in exchange for sexual favors, or threatening any kind of detriment for an attendee’s failure to engage in sexual activity.
- Visual conduct of a sexual nature, such as making sexual gestures, or displaying sexually suggestive objects, pictures, or cartoons.
- Sending sexually related text messages, emails, photos, videos, or social media messages.
- Comments (positive or negative) about an individual’s body.
- Suggestive contact, such as inappropriate touching, or impeding or blocking movement.
- Asking questions about an individual’s sex life.
- Initiating or participating in games that include discussions about sex or intimate parts of the body.
- Inviting someone to meet you in, or accompany you to, a private place, such as your room at the conference or an off-site hotel/motel.
- Use of digital cameras, video, or other recording devices in the restrooms.
- Intimidating, unethical, or illegal behavior.
If you have any questions about what constitutes inappropriate behavior, please contact Brian Allain at [email protected]
If you have experienced or observed inappropriate conduct at or in conjunction with a conference, please contact Brian Allain as soon as possible. Be assured that you will not be penalized in any way for reporting a problem.
In exchange for being given permission to participate in any event being organized by WFYL, you, for yourself and your family, heirs, executors, and representatives, agree to the following:
- You assume the risk of any harm or injury that may occur as a result of, or in connection with, your participation in the Event(s).
- You accept full responsibility for yourself, your actions, and your possessions while participating in the Event(s).
- You release WFYL, their officers, employees, agents, staff, faculty, and volunteers from any and all liability, costs, damages, or other claims that may occur as a result of, or in connection with, your participation in the Event(s).
- You give your consent for WFYL, its officers, employees, agents, staff, faculty, and volunteers to assist you in the event of an emergency, including seeking emergency medical treatment on your behalf and you agree to accept financial responsibility for the costs related to any medical treatment.
- You agree to conduct yourself and behave in a legal, ethical, and polite manner, treating all individuals with respect, consideration, and charity, at all times during your participation in the Event(s). You agree to refrain from any behavior that is threatening, violent, aggressive, or sexually or morally improper. You agree to report to WFYL any behavior by others that you witness that does not meet this standard. You understand that if you engage in inappropriate behavior or fail to report inappropriate behavior that you witness, you may be asked to end your participation in the Event, and if asked, you agree to abide by the decision.
- Permission to be photographed and for those photographs to be used by WFYL however they see fit.
Last modified: July 20, 2018