Four writers’ workshop sessions will be provided during the retreat, each lasting roughly 3 hours. Here is an overview of each session.
Session 1 – led by Tony
- Learn how to write in ways that will engage readers
- Examine your writing from the macro level to the granular
- Think like a reader
Session 2 – led by Brian
- What are your writing goals? This makes a huge difference in selecting a path to publishing.
- Overview of the publishing industry
- Why you should consider DIY-publishing (a.k.a. self-publishing)
Author market entry strategy
- Identifying your audience niche – the most important thing to get right!!
- It is NOT all about you
- Small group discussion
Session 3 – led by Tony
- What is a hook and how do you get one?
- What makes for a good payoff?
- How to put together a proposal that will get attention
- Do you need an agent?
- How much should you expect for an advance and royalties?
Session 4 – led by Brian
- Platform development
- Attracting followers
- Accelerating your platform growth
How to think like an entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Tools and tactics
- Partnering and networking
- Financial principles
All retreat information is subject to change.