Writing for Your Life produces many free videos that feature leading spiritual authors and industry experts presenting on various topics in the areas of “how to write” “how to get published” and “how to market and build your platform”. The following live and previously recorded presentations are freely available. These videos are more valuable and more plentiful than what you will find for sale at several other locations.
Second Tuesdays – currently in progress
This free online discussion series features authors who have a heart for helping other authors! Each month we will have an open, informal discussion on a different topic. Everyone is welcome to ask questions! They take place every Second Tuesday of the month (with a few exceptions) at 8 PM Eastern. Learn more here.
Faith, Hope, and Love During an Election
Join Jennifer Grant and Brian Allain for video interviews with 44 thoughtful people who care deeply about the state of our democracy, the health of the planet, and the well-being of all people, seeking their insights regarding what’s at stake in the upcoming election and how we can love our neighbors—especially those with whom we strongly disagree. In this series we do not wish to add to the negativity and polarization that now so often define American culture, but to discuss issues in the context of compassionate Christianity. Check out the interviews here.
Reading Hope in Trying Times
We know that many of you are under great stress due to the virus, and some of you have more time than usual at home. In either case, this online video series called “Reading Hope in Trying Times” features 78 of our friends, each discussing the impact of the pandemic crisis, how God has helped them through challenging times, and suggestions for resources that might be helpful during challenging times.
Writing for Your Life on YouTube
You can also view many free videos on the Writing for Your Life YouTube channel.
In this video, Barbara Brown Taylor and Brian Allain offer suggestions on best practices for emerging writers at the Wild Goose Festival.
Removing Roadblocks to Getting Published
Check out our free webinar series “Removing Roadblocks to Getting Published” – featuring many of our author partners.
Book Launch Interviews
Please enjoy these book launch interviews, featuring many of our author partners and emerging authors.
These informal, 30-minute free webinars feature selected spiritual writers speaking about the many challenging business aspects of being a spiritual writer. Topics included within the series:
- Finding your audience niche as a writer
- The process of getting published
- Whether or not to use an agent; what an agent does; how to get one
- DIY publishing vs. traditional publishing
- Building your platform
- Is marketing self-promotion?
- What sources of income should you seek in addition to book royalties?
You can view the previously recorded First Fridays webinars here.
Presentations on How to Write:
- Rachel Held Evans (author): “Who Do You Think You Are? – Writing a Meaningful Memoir in an Overshare Age” – free
- Father James Martin (author, priest): “A Discussion on Spiritual Writing” – free
- Sarah Arthur (author): “Getting it Done: 10 Tips for Finishing What You Started” – free
- Jana Riess (author, editor, journalist): “Crafting Your Spiritual Memoir: Why and How to Tell Your Story” – free
- Jennifer Grant (author, freelance editor/consultant): “Developing a Small Business Mindset: Clear Roadblocks such as Procrastination, Perfectionism, and Disorganization in Your Writing Career” – free
- Lisa Crayton (author, freelance editor/consultant): “The Focused Writer Or ‘What’s It All About?’” – free
Presentations on How to Get Published:
- Chris Ferebee (literary agent): “How to Prepare a Non-fiction Book Proposal” free
- Margot Starbuck (author, freelance editor/consultant): “Writing an Excellent Book Proposal: The 3 Big Roadblocks to Getting a Publisher to Say ‘Yes’ (And 1 Bonus Roadblock!)” – free
- “Conference Prep 101: Preparing a Killer Pitch and Steps to Meeting with Editors and Agents” by Edwina Perkins (Harambee Press) – free
- Sharon Elliott (author, freelance editor/consultant): “Removing the Roadblock by Writing a Winning Book Proposal” – free
- Vinita Hampton Wright (Loyola Press, author): “How a Publisher Thinks” – free
- Jenny Baumgartner (HarperCollins / Thomas Nelson Books): “An Inside Look at an Acquisition Editor’s Job” – free
- Erin Healy (fiction author and freelance editor/consultant): “Preparing Your Novel Summaries for Agents and Editors” – free
- Rev. Adam Thomas (book design for self-publishing): “Inside and Out: Taking Your Text from Manuscript to Book” – free
- Paraclete MultiMedia: “Self Publishing Made Simple” – free
- David Morris (Zondervan Publisher): “The Big Picture on Publishing and Strategies and Finding Your Place in It” – free
- Lil Copan (Fortress Press, Senior Editor): “Discovering What Publishers are Looking For” – free
- A conversation with emerging authors Lydia Mikkael and Brittany Bergman – free
Presentations on How to Market:
- Rachel Held Evans (author): “How To Turn Hate Mail Into Origami: Engaging Your Readers in the Internet Age” – free
- Mike McHargue (Science Mike): “How to Build Your Own Podcast Program” – free
- Keith Finnegan (Senior Marketing Director, Digital at Zondervan): “What Publishers Are Looking For in an Author Platform” – free
- Philip Zoutendam: “Starting from Scratch on your Author Platform” – free
What attendees have had to say:
Rebecca: These webinars were really wonderful. The information was exactly what I needed to know.
Carol: Thank you so much for providing these webinars. They are incredibly helpful and informative.
Katie: The advice you’ve published through your workshops, webinars, and Writing for Your Life emails contain so much good counsel.
Kerry: I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your program, its noble goals, its modest cost, and truly helpful content. Please keep going!
Kendall: Your conferences have been so valuable, I really appreciate them.
John: I so enjoyed the webinar series on social media marketing. I’ll give it the best praise I can think of: it’s already changed the way I approach marketing. I’ve relaunched my Twitter presence, given my website a long-overdue repositioning, and thought through some other things.
Angie: thank you for this conference. You have provided us with excellent speakers, who have a wealth of knowledge, and I feel so fortunate to glean from their experiences.
Kim: the webinars have been wonderful! Thank you for arranging such an inspiring conference!
Sandra: Great webinar series!
Chris: Sarah Arthur was fabulous
Kelly: Brian, both of your presentations were great!
Edie: I watched it from Seoul and it was just great!!!
Kim: Rachel Held Evans, you are inspired and inspiring!! Thanks for sharing your learning and insight!!
Kendall: @LilCopan thank you for helpful guidance navigating the publishing world. You’ve made the 1st step much less daunting!
Pat: Chris Ferebee, THAT WAS AWESOME!!!
Anna: This is so wonderful! Just got done watching the first one and am ready to find the next! With many thanks! This is exactly what my writer needs right now…
Angie: I thoroughly enjoyed your discussion with Fr. James and I’m looking forward to watching the other videos. This conference is an amazing idea. I’m grateful for the opportunity to attend something like this–especially since I live in Alaska and conferences of this sort don’t come around too often.
Martha: great presentation Jana and very inspiring!
Kendall: A great final webinar from @JonathanMerritt to close out @writing4urlife. Got that ‘secret sauce’ simmering, I’m ready to feast.
Anonymous (from the feedback survey): In all, I am absolutely pleased with the conference and so thankful for the opportunity to hear all the amazing presentations!
Linda: I have been really enjoying the webinars. What an amazing group of professionals you have gathered together for this conference.
Inclusion in one of our webinars or conferences does not represent an endorsement of that person’s religious or political views or those of their employers.